Thank you to everyone who was praying for my flights yesterday. Everything went well...and I safely arrived in Monterrey around 9:30 last night. The teacher that I will be working for and her husband were there at the airport to pick me up. I will be staying with them for a few days until I move into my apartment at the school's compound.
On our way to church this morning, we stopped at a little taco place for breakfast. They said it was a "fancy taco" place because most tacos are sold from little wagons along the street...but this place was like a little restaurant. And it had air conditioning, which felt wonderful :) I had 2 tacos...one filled with scrambled eggs and one with spicy chicken.
After sitting through an hour of SS and a two hour church service, I think I've decided that I don't know ANY Spanish :) I was able to pick up on a few things...but my head hurt a little from trying to figure out what they were all saying! The Pastor preached from I Samuel 12:24, which is one of my favorite verses: "Only fear the Lord and serve Him in truth with all your heart, for consider what great things He has done for you." So even though was not able to understand a lot of his message, that verse was a good reminder that I need to be serving here with my whole heart! Everyone was very welcoming. They all greet each other with a kiss, so that was a new experience! lol
We had chicken for lunch, which we ate in tortilla shells, and green spaghetti. After lunch it was time for a siesta :) I slept like a rock for 3 hours! Mr. Navaro helped me get internet connection on my laptop...it is nice to be connected to the world again! They had me try Sushi for dinner. I think I'll stick with tacos :)
The Navaro's have a ten year old son named Samuel who has quickly become my little buddy. We went for a long walk around a park not too far from their house tonight and then came home and played Monopoly. He is so funny and is enjoying "teaching" me Spanish words!
The city of Monterrey is a far cry from quiet little Dunbar or North Rose. The streets are narrow and crowded. Houses are small and all joined together. The whole city is surrounded by large mountains. They are so pretty...I will try to get some pictures soon!
Thank you everyone for praying and for your interest in my life. I am thankful for you! Well, it's time for bed. ¡Buenas noches!
Super big thanks for the update! So good to hear. :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you arrived safely! Heard about Kara's trip to Argentina last night and her struggles with speaking the Spanish language. After only three weeks, she sounds like she has the language under control. I'm sure it won't take you long either.....especially with your special Spanish teacher!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you started this blog. Keep us posted!!
Hi Mrs. Buisch...thanks for stopping by! And yes, I'm hoping that I'll be able to pick up more Spanish quickly too :) Hope you're having a good summer.
ReplyDeleteGlad you arrived safe and sound. You'll get the language fast, don't worry. We had a good laugh about the kissing. Same thing in Uruguay. It's takes a little getting used to. :-)
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for you!