Ok, time to sit down with a cup of coffee and update this blog! Sorry it's been forever. :/ My friend, Susan Bixby, taught me how to make super good iced coffee this week...it's my new favorite treat! I was surprised to find that Mexicans do not drink a lot of coffee here. And if they do drink it, they use instant Nescafe...which is actually really good!! I'm addicted lol
Can't believe that I have been here for over 3 weeks already. The time has flown by!
My roommate, Elizabeth McAchren, arrived back on Wednesday. She has lived here and taught English classes at the University for 5 years, so she knows her way around! Hopefully I won't drive her crazy with all my questions ;)
There are 5 American missionary families that also live here and work at the University...Chapmans, Greens, Raymers, Bixbys and Lathams. They were all away on vacation when I first arrived, but they are all back in Monterrey this week. It's been fun to meet to them and be able to speak English again! The Bixby's invited me over to their house for lunch on Wednesday. I really enjoyed getting to know their family. They have 3 children...Aaron (9), Ana (7) and David (5)...who loved beating me up on their Wii :) My arms were sore the next day!
School is busy, but classes are starting to fall into somewhat of a routine. I love my first grade class...the kids are SO cute and they give the BEST little hugs :) I taught them the "5 Little Monkeys" action song this week. They love it haha Every time we do it they yell "otro vez, otro vez!" (again, again!!) It's so fun to watch them learn. Second grade is still super challenging with 37 students...getting them to all sit in their chairs and be quiet for more than 5 minutes is just about impossible lol Hopefully I will be getting a college student helper soon!
On Sundays I have been playing flute in the orchestra at church with my friend Claudia. She lives in the apartment downstairs. She knows a little English...and I know a little Spanish...so we have some great conversations! lol We spend most of our time together laughing and trying to figure out what each other is saying!! But she has been super sweet and helpful. Last Sunday night we went out for tacos - SO good :)
Sunday is also market day. The streets are lined with little stands selling everything from shoes to tacos to hair accessories to fruits and vegetables! Vendors rapidly yelling out prices, little children running everywhere, loud music blaring over the speakers, the aroma of tacos cooking...it's definitely a cultural experience! I'm loving all the fresh fruit...mango, papaya, bananas, pineapple, etc.
I am so thankful for the opportunity that God has given for me to be in Mexico this year. And I am thankful for all of you who are praying for me! Your support means so much. Please continue to pray for wisdom and patience as I teach my students.
Love in Christ,
Heather
~ Only fear the LORD and serve Him in truth with all your heart, for consider what great things He has done for you! I Sam. 12:24 ~
Glad to hear you've got some company now. We're praying for you. You're doing awesome! The kids miss you.
ReplyDelete